Monday, July 18, 2016

Happiness is Overrated!


Yes, you read it right! Happiness is overrated!! Instead what we probably are actually seeking is peace! Peace within ourselves!

Happiness is momentary and easily escapes us at a flicker of an outward circumstance... however if peaceful within we are able to hold ourselves tall and strong in the stormiest of the events...

But the question here is how to be happy or peaceful in this maddening crazy rush we call life!?

The answer does not come sitting pretty on a platter..it comes with some soul searching.. Where one may seek it in meditation..another in just a quiet cup of tea and yet another would find it in pursuing a long desired pursuit.

Talking to friends my age I realise most of us in mid thirties suddenly start finding the same rut of life dull and monotonous.. We begin to feel that something is amiss! And then we start wondering how to go about it... how to make ourselves and those around us happy!?

It does take some effort! Some soul searching! Some stirring up of selves! How to do it.. It's easier said than done! 

After years of doing things the same way when I felt monotony set in and affecting my relations with my loved ones, my work, my own mental peace I started wondering what was actually wrong when over a cup of coffee and sharing session a friend casually stated "you are not liking something you are doing... maybe it’s work.. Or May be planning your second one is something you don’t really feel prepared for”... 

Gosh...she had summed it up for me.. She said in one sentence what heart of heart I knew… but I was logically completely convinced that working from home was the best thing to do as I can be around my son... AND.. it was just the right time to plan the second one.. as biological clock is ticking n' then it will be too late to have a child!

Being a practical Virgo… I guess I never gave myself room to let the wrong be right.. even for the sake of my own happiness or ease or peace!

But repercussions... after an initial spurt of hardwork... now I am just not into it! I m a very social and outgoing person.. I love making friends, meeting people, going out... N working from home cuts out that excitement.

And as far as the second one is concerned the thought is eating me out deep down... I hardly have patience with my son.. With domestic, social and work demands.. Where and how would I fit in another baby!? And would it actually be even fair to the newborn… will I be able to give my 100% if I go ahead?

So as of now.. I guess I am gonna take it easy... I am yet to find 'that'..what I want to do...AND.. Family would have to wait a little more for another addition. I am gonna take a while to take a plunge!

For now all I need is some peace of mind! I need to take more than one deep breath... And find my peace corner and I am sure happiness will follow!

I guess we all need to, time and again, review the choices we are making sailing through this course of life. In our rush to keep pace with our fast moving lives today, I guess we never have time to take a pause and really get a feel of how our choices leave us feeling.

We make choices every day.. infact so many a day... we set priorities on a daily basis.. at times putting the most important in the end knowingly or unknowingly..

If we make a little time and effort to review the way our life is shaping and try to assess explicitly 'if thats what we really want' n 'If that would make us happy within'.. It will be more than worthwhile!

At times it would require that the right be wrong and the wrong be right.. So what.. Its our own life.. we set the rules and we govern our life with our own rights and wrongs!

Doing so will keep us aligned with the course we want our life to take.. bringing along a sense of peace and fulfillment of which happiness is a residue.

So, why not reassess where we are headed and where we would like to be.. And put our efforts in the right direction!

Why not be peaceful within and let the happiness follow! 

2 comments:

  1. At times it would require that the right be wrong and the wrong be right.. So what.. Its our own life.. we set the rules and we govern our life with our own rights and wrongs! This line resonates with us so much right now! Such an interesting read. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.